Wilson Sahara Motorsports
Desiré Wilson has been recognized since 1978 as the most accomplished woman race driver in the world. She is the only woman driver ever to have been licensed to drive in both World Championship Formula One Grand Prix and CART IndyCars or to have won an International level Formula One race. In 1980 she won both the Monza 1000km and Silverstone 6 Hour World Championship Endurance races, becoming the only woman ever to have won, outright, any FIA World Championship race. She has won 18 other professional races.
Desiré has raced competitively in more than 104 different types of race cars on more than 89 different tracks in 15 countries, earning the respect of the world’s best drivers for her competitiveness, skill and accomplishments.
In addition to her racing qualifications, Desiré is a qualified accountant who administered the Brands Hatch Racing School and who has managed the financial affairs, computer operations and ticketing systems for major events.
Her popularity with race fans, high visibility and considerable skills on and off the race track have made her a well regarded corporate spokesperson for automobile companies and race sponsors who has been involved with a variety of sponsor relations, promotions and television projects around the world. Her international contacts, racing experiences, winning personality and communications skills all contribute to her popularity as a celebrity guest speaker and product spokesperson.
- 1976 South African Formula Ford 1600 Champion
- 1977 Earned Springbok Colors - South African prestige sports award
- 1978 Won South African ‘Sports Woman of the Year’ Award
- 1980 Winner of the Aurora F1 British Championship race Winner of World Endurance Championship, Monza 1000 and Silverstone 6-hour races with Alain De Cadenet
- Awarded FIA Grand Prix Superlicence
- 1981 Drove for Ken Tyrrell in South African Formula 1 Grand Prix
- 1982 Membership of the BRDC
- 1986 Overall win at Mosport 24-hour in Saleen Mustang
- 1987 Winner of Sebring 6-hour and Sears Point 6-hour with Scott Pruett in Saleen Mustang
- 1996 First overall and pole position in Detroit GP Neon Challenge event